Thursday, June 1, 2017

Reflecting on my Journey

I began this Journey of creating a lesson that integrated new technology into my classroom work thinking...what can 5 and 6 year old's do that will not be playing on an app or watching videos on the technology in our room?  We had been focusing on writing narrative pieces in our literacy time and I started playing around with Seesaw, I played around with the draw tool and realized the students could digitally publish their narrative pieces!  I started with two of my strongest students and set out to teach them how they would use the draw tools on Seesaw to publish their work.  They loved drawing their pictures on the ipad, but found it hard to draw with their fingers.  We eventually got stylus pens and they said that was much easier to use.  They quickly figured out how to add color and how to record themselves with the tools.  Typing was another area I felt they may struggle with, but after showing them the space bar and shift keys they got right to it and were successful!

 https://drive.google.com/a/rcsdk12.org/file/d/0Bye68Gqsf53tMnVUbENpZnZnT2M/view?usp=sharing

  https://drive.google.com/a/rcsdk12.org/file/d/0Bye68Gqsf53tX2hQd1lxTTduVEE/view?usp=sharing

I originally allotted a week to complete this lesson, but quickly realized that they needed some supervision and support to complete.  It took a few weeks to complete.  I also had some 6th grade buddies stop down to supervise and keep the students on task.  

Students were very engaged and love digitally publishing their work.  I did notice that their first pages were pretty strong and by the last page they put less color and detail into their drawings.  

The students were proud of their work and all said they enjoyed working on Seesaw Draw to publish better than the paper and pencil way they usually complete writing tasks.  

I am still in the process of creating a rubric to assess the digital work the students completed.  I am basing it on the Aesthetics and Function of the digital publishing.  I had to research and find an example to help create my rubric.  Not many examples to go by.  Here is the example document...

CLC thoughts:
I have loved the opportunity to jump into a focused activity that allowed me to incorporate technology into my normal lessons, but enhancing the students engagement!  Students took tasks that they were successful with and tried a new way to publish!  They learned through modeling and experimenting how to create their digital story!  

I was able to learn a little more about how to use Seesaw tools in my classroom.  I had done some work last year, but never dug deeper.  This class allows you time to work with technology and feel more comfortable with each new step you take!  My goal is to eventually have much of the work my students do recorded into Seesaw...keeping a digital portfolio of their growth!



5 comments:

  1. Their work is amazing :) It might have taken a few weeks to teach the lesson but the time invested have provide the opportunity to transfer their learning. At the end of the day that is our main goal.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I love that even 5 year olds can use technology with their work! This will definitely leave an imprint and make them even stronger technological students in their future experiences! Also, thanks so much for all of the support and the use of your Ipad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the art teacher in my LOVES the drawings and creative side of this project. How awesome is it to have technology were they can showcase their work and skills. I am sure it wasn't easy to do this with kinder but you pulled it off well! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work! I have started Seesaw but have not looked at the tools, so you are inspiring me to do that. I can see why they were proud of their work. This will stick with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commend you for taking on this CLC and task with kinder... you do such great things with your class and it is so amazing to see the work the produce. I am still waiting for my Seesaw tutorial.

    ReplyDelete